Sunday, May 26, 2013

Locally Made

After the recent deaths of thousands of garment workers in Bangladesh, I've been trying to learn more about foreign versus domestic clothing production.  I've long been concerned about the humanitarian and environmental impacts of low-cost, foreign garment production, but the tragedy in Bangladesh has made it much more real to me.  This recent op-ed piece in the New York Times highlights the importance of both regulation and consumer power and really struck a chord with me.


I'm also excited to read this recent book, which I have heard is eye-opening:


The heart of what we do at Winslow is respond to the epidemic of cheap, fast fashion.  Whenever I set out to make a tie or pocket square, I learn through doing how important domestic production of clothing really is, both to the quality of our lives, and the quality of the lives of people in Bangladesh and other places where clothing manufacturers outsource labor.  We'd love to hear your thoughts!


No comments:

Post a Comment